BlogsVlogsEtc. Powered by Blogger.

Let's have a chat about Feminism!!

Hello Again Everyone,

I have been wanting to voice my opinion on something but I've been holding back because I'm scared in case there is backlash because of it. But after a night of listening to Hilary Duff and chatting to Charlotte (who is very lovely by the way, check out her blog!!) I decided just to do it because like Charlotte said her blog is her space and mine is mine! 

So Feminism! That's what I want to talk about!

I have seen this as a very 'touchy' subject to speak about and I have found myself typing up tweets but then deleting them because I've seen how protective people are about this subject. It is spoken about on the Internet and on Twitter every single day and I just want to say right now that everyone is entitled and have the right to their own opinions - the world would be a very boring place if everyone thought the same thing!! Sometimes though, other people don't want to even listen to an opinion which is different from their own and that is really sad! I think it is seen as being really 'trendy' these days to call yourself a feminist and I think a main factor is the celebrities that are feminists - of course if Beyoncé says she's a feminist then hundreds of people will say they are too - that's just the generation we live in - It's the latest bandwagon! But what I have been seeing more and more recently  which is really getting my goat is the 'feminists' that are bringing down men. Now I am a woman, but I'm not a feminist. Yes I think genders should be treated equally, of course I do and yes, I know women aren't treated fairly and that is not right! But, why put men down and belittle them to make women be greater?! 

A lot of feminists say that men are sexist and I know there is a hell of a lot of sexist men out there (Christ I work in a warehouse where there's about 60 men and about 6 women) but there is also a lot of sexist women out there! Basically the point in this very rambling post (apologies) is let's be equal, let's cheer each other on! All men and women should encourage each other, and if you want to be a feminist then good on you, honestly, just don't hate on men while doing so. 

Again, in the words of Beyoncé, 'who run the world?' Girls can! Boys can! We can actually do it together.


Now I would love to hear your opinion on this, I can listen to all opinions, feminists are welcome! Please don't take this as a hate post against all Feminists because it's not, I think it's great that you've got some fight in you!


4 comments

  1. I think I'd sum up as radical feminism is to feminism what radical Islam is to Islam, aka it's not - totally disavowed and using the name without any claim to legitimacy.

    When you say "Now I am a woman, but I'm not a feminist. Yes I think genders should be treated equally, of course I do" you are genuinely describing a feminist. It's pretty much that simple and most feminists will acknowledge the harmful effects of a male oriented society on men.

    But being a woman doesn't automatically mean you have to be a feminist, just like, evidently, being a man doesn't mean you're automatically opposed, so you do you! Just keep an open mind and don't dismiss it as radfem please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd sum up as radical feminism is to feminism what radical Islam is to Islam, aka it's not - totally disavowed and using the name without any claim to legitimacy.

    When you say "Now I am a woman, but I'm not a feminist. Yes I think genders should be treated equally, of course I do" you are genuinely describing a feminist. It's pretty much that simple and most feminists will acknowledge the harmful effects of a male oriented society on men.

    But being a woman doesn't automatically mean you have to be a feminist, just like, evidently, being a man doesn't mean you're automatically opposed, so you do you! Just keep an open mind and don't dismiss it as radfem please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've written this quite respectfully and not judgemental which I really respect as a feminist. I do think it has become a bit of a buzzword, but I don't think that's a bad thing - I think for some it devalues what feminism means though, as you said.

    Sexism goes both ways. There are quite a few pressures on men equally. I think patriarchy stems both ways - It crushes men's emotions which in turn can cause a lot of internalised hatred of women. I've been with an abusive man and thinking back on it I think it's really sad, but also interesting how a lot of these things such as insecurity over masculinity can lead to problems with women.

    For me, combating issues ultimately needs to go both ways because at the end of the day misogyny, sexism is a big circle we all need to demolish together. I think feminism is different though in a worldwide content - when ultimately I don't think anyone can deny that women around the world have legal inequality, social inequality etc.

    eleanor
    elleanorwears.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I never want to upset anyone or for anyone to feel disrespected in any way and I'm glad that's not how you feel. It has become a buzzword which is thrown around in the media but I have no issues with feminists like I said - if that's what you want to call yourself and live your life by then that is perfectly fine - your life!

      I agree massively, sexism does go both ways and I also agree that we need to demolish misogyny and sexism together.

      Thank you so much for your comment it truly does mean a lot!!

      Delete